• Spider-Man FF, Out Today

smffcover.jpg

So if you happen by the local comics shop, happen on over by the S section of the shelves and grab a copy. And then look all the cool things Wieringo drew. And then buy it, with your winnings.

Comments

Comment from dusty abell
    Time: April 12, 2007, 1:21 pm

got it, read it, LOVED IT! man you gotta write more stuff to do together, you and Mike are an awesome team. the dialouge of your characters is really fun stuff and the gag with ben and johhny falling off the roof was classic. this book is MARVEL at its best for me, keep up the fantastic job, can’t wait for Avengers Adventures next. and now that i guess i’m a full blown parker fan, i’m gonna pick up the x-men first year when it hits the trade as well. that special next month looks like a freakin’ all star slam dunk of coolness. dusty.

Time: April 12, 2007, 1:54 pm

Thanks D! Yeah, Mike is the man. And I’ll guarantee your money on that X-Special!

Comment from Sandy Jarrell
    Time: April 12, 2007, 3:49 pm

I’ll spend $3 any day of the week for a glimpse of the Spider-Buggy. That car oughtta have its own funnybook!

Time: April 12, 2007, 4:50 pm

I’m not really a big fan of Spider-Man, even less of one of the Fantastic Four. But I pulled it simply on the strength of the name “Jeff Parker.” Glad that I did, as the first issue was quite enjoyable and I can’t wait for the next. Yes, you can officially call me a Parker Fanboy. They’ll be no offense taken from it though. :)

Comment from Mike-O
    Time: April 12, 2007, 7:41 pm

Unfortunately I hadn’t budgeted for this comic although I did see it in the LCS this week. I’ll probably toss one in my file since anytime I’ve procrastinated on one your books it goes away and takes me forever to find it again. ;)

Lookin forward to reading it.

Comment from Daniel
    Time: April 13, 2007, 2:32 am

Heck of fun, dude. Good work.

Comment from Kemp-El
    Time: April 13, 2007, 9:16 am

Sigh…If only Roy Thomas had written this……

Time: April 13, 2007, 10:10 am

Best Ben Grimm panel I’ve seen in a long time. You know which one I’m talking about. Great stuff!

Time: April 13, 2007, 1:05 pm

Thanks guys.

Comment from Tim O’Shea
    Time: April 13, 2007, 7:21 pm

Best line in the book-Impossible Man’s
    “Note to self: Bring entire race back.”

Time: April 13, 2007, 8:10 pm

Not to be a huge continuity nerd, but about when is this supposed to take place?

I gather it’s the first time that Spider-Man has met The Impossible Man.

But the Fantastic Four already have their two kids.

Time: April 14, 2007, 6:28 am

They’ve already met, but I’m taking the stance that they haven’t interacted much and that Impossible Man is such an easily distracted type that he’s practically reset to zero unless he’s spent a lot of time with you, say like with the FF. Consider any fun-lover you’ve known from parties who has to keep being introduced to you. I chose to do it that way so it wouldn’t be excluding to new readers (here’s more relationships you don’t know about) but wouldn’t go against Marvel history.

Just like with XFC, this is a book that should be a good entry point for new or lapsed readers, so I have to find ways to walk the continuity line. I know you understand because you let me slide on things like that with X-Men, but I think a lot of older readers don’t get that slavery to continuity details kills comics that should be cyclical by nature.

Comment from Tim O’Shea
    Time: April 14, 2007, 7:01 am

Speaking of continuity, any chance at the end of this Impossible Man restores the Marvel U to the way things were before Civil War? Please? :)
    Or just figure out a way to bring Goliath back.

And could we all name our favorite Wieringo:
    My nomination, the simple panel of Thing “Morning, Punk” (The use of the comma just adds to the comedy. Ben was so concerned with the element of comedy, he focused on punctuation with his gag [and turned off a world saving alarm or two) as Johnny plummets from the roof…

And I’m so glad to see van Grawbadger inking Wieringo.

Side bar: Why the classic Spidey/FF shot on the splash page? An interesting choice, no complaints, but who came up with that idea?

Time: April 14, 2007, 7:11 am

True, people worry way too much about continuity now adays. As long as it doesn’t outright violate anything major, I’m usually one to let it go. X-Men: First Class has been fun for that reason. Some people are just way too anal about that stuff. Such as complaining about Hank and Bobby’s hair color, etc.

Comment from Brian
    Time: April 14, 2007, 7:30 am

Say it ain’t so Jeff, say it ain’t so. First Cap and now, the second most beloved character and all of Marveldom, gone. Impossible I say.

Seriously, though, a heck of a fun read and I’m already looking forward to next issue.

Time: April 14, 2007, 7:38 am

Tim, I’m guessing Steve Wacker picked the classic images for the intro page, I didn’t know it was going to be there either. But it’s great.

Time: April 14, 2007, 7:50 am

Brian, do you think we should have had Impy morph into Captain America right before he got blasted?

Comment from Tim O’Shea
    Time: April 14, 2007, 8:21 am

Wow, Impy as Cap right before the pivotal scene, that would have been hilarious. I wonder if Marvel editorial would have allowed it?

Are all the issues already done, or is there any way you can pull a joke on some level playing upon that theme. A joke Impy funeral scene with him as Cap would be funny. Hard to top preggars Impy though.

Comment from Tim O’Shea
    Time: April 14, 2007, 8:23 am

As far as continuity, there was that whole issue where Xavier had a mullet. Just kidding. And kudos to Steve for including the classic FF/Spidey shot. I wonder if he’ll pick classic scenes throughout the mini for that first page. Looking forward to the next issue.

Time: April 14, 2007, 10:43 am

Speaking of Xavier with a mullet….

Jeff has to do an issue with Xavier getting a hair piece. Which turns out to be some sort of alien brain leech. Then at the end of the issue, Xavier can remark… “I’ll never wear a wig again.” Explaining his lack of hairpieces in canon history. :D

Time: April 14, 2007, 12:03 pm

I’m starting to like this Mullet X thing.

Comment from Drew Clements
    Time: April 14, 2007, 1:02 pm

I’ve gotta say that Spidey/FF is fantastic (no pun intended)!

I pick up everything I can with your name on it now. You bring a lot of fun to the comics that you write and that’s what I like; there’s just not a whole lot of that these days in the big companies.

Keep up the great work!

Time: April 14, 2007, 7:19 pm

Thank you, Drew!

Comment from doug
    Time: April 14, 2007, 9:09 pm

LOVED this issue. Wish the series were more than four issues. One of my favorites of Mike’s panels, for some inexplicable reason, is that image of Ben sitting at the table eating pancakes. Those big mitts of his make me smile. Jeff, your work is the best thing to happen to my pull list in quite some time. So much goodness packed in a single issue! This and Marvel Adventures:Avengers are tops now on my list of favorites.

Comment from Tim O’Shea
    Time: April 14, 2007, 11:02 pm

Mullet X rules

OK, who came up with the Baxter Building flat rate on the taxi that Spidey crashes into?

Comment from John Petrick
    Time: April 14, 2007, 11:44 pm

Loved the issue, Jeff, it was a lot of fun from beginning to end. Especially loved the Ben and Johnny gag, which made me laugh out loud!

Keep up the great work, and give Wieringo a raise… he’s so underrated.

Time: April 15, 2007, 7:19 am

That flat rate is another Wackerism!
    And thanks Doug and John- and just like the magazine recently says, Ringo is Modern Master.

Comment from Tim O’Shea
    Time: April 15, 2007, 12:39 pm

Wacker is great, I think I first became aware of his value all the way back when he worked (as an assistant editor IIRC) on Busiek’s Power Company.

I hope rest of the series is full of toss-away details like that. It gives us geeks our money’s worth and more. :)

Comment from zailo
    Time: April 15, 2007, 7:50 pm

I dug the kids toy/ conquest ball. Parker, since you are the poppa I am assuming that it was your gag. But Ringo can be sharp, too.

Comment from Nik
    Time: April 20, 2007, 12:17 pm

Great stuff Jeff! I’ve got to put a plug for it on the blog. Can’t wait for more!