• A Vampi Story

logo.jpg Over at my Comicspace page I just put up another gallery, with a Vampirella story I wrote and drew for Vampirella Magazine a few years ago. A little romp with ghouls, witches and a late night horror show like you don’t see anymore. I’m putting it up because I don’t think Harris has any plans to use these stories again anytime soon, but if they ask me to take it down I will. If you haven’t been to the page before, you can also read my story “Bear” that was in Image’s Four Letter Worlds anthology.

Yes, I was looking at Monica Bellucci when I drew the bikini heroine from Drakulon.

Comments

Comment from Jeremy Colwell
    Time: March 16, 2007, 7:06 am

Ha, I love it. Thanks for putting it up.

Comment from Ethan C.
    Time: March 16, 2007, 2:23 pm

“At last, I feel foolish” Brilliant. I loved it.

Time: March 16, 2007, 10:23 pm

I always thought Vampirella was a book that…well, let’s just say I didn’t think the idea was to tell thoughtful stories. Have I been mistaken?

Comment from Tim O’Shea
    Time: March 17, 2007, 6:58 am

Eric:

I have a collection (not handy right now) of Vampirella that includes stories written by Archie Goodwin. I’m no big fan of the character, but I am a fan of good storytelling–which both Goodwin and Jeff show can even occur with someone like Vampirella.

As for Bear, holy crap Jeff–is there any chance you’ll revisit that family or was the story you wanted to tell with them done in that one?

Time: March 17, 2007, 8:11 am

Tim beat me to that. The original stories, the run everyone looks on fondest during the Warren years, was Goodwin and Gonzales, which were actually very solid stories. What I always liked was that Jose Gonzales would use models for Vampirella, but make everyone else really cartoony. Archie probably just shook his head at the character, then sat down and did these well-crafted stories anyway because that’s who he was. As a kid I would look over my shoulder while reading the magazines because I wasn’t sure if I was actually allowed to read it.

Time: March 17, 2007, 8:13 am

Oh yeah, BEAR. Thanks Tim! I don’t think I’ll push that potentially infringing story any further, but I enjoyed making it.